Scottish Hydrological Group
The Scottish Hydrological Group (SHG) is a professional and technical association whose object is to encourage and advance the study of hydrology, in particular in a Scottish context, by holding meetings and seminars for the discussion of papers, by arranging technical visits and through other appropriate activities.
It is a specialist Group of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) in Scotland, and is affiliated to the British Hydrological Society (BHS). Close links are maintained with ICE branches, BHS, CIWEM and other specialist Groups.
Our interests extend to all aspects of hydrology and its relevance to human interests and activities, as well as to the environment generally, including:
- Hydrometry; the measurement and recording of hydrological parameters.
- The conservation and management of water resources.
- The interaction between hydrology and ecology.
- Predicting flood frequency and risk.
- Real time forecasting of surface water, fluvial and coastal flooding
In general five to eight meetings are held each year in venues across Scotland including Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Inverness.