Professional Development

BHS tries to support members in their professional development and in particular to advise how they can best achieve Chartered status as a means of potentially advancing their careers.

Unfortunately 'Chartered Hydrologist' is not an option under existing Privy Council rules, but members can seek to achieve one or more of the existing CEng, CEnv, CSci or MCIWEM qualifications, or alternatively CMet, CGeog or CIWO (details of these acronyms are given in the attached  document). This Guide to Professional Development and Professional Qualification for Hydrologists, explains the possible Chartered status routes available to hydrologists and sets out, through the text and a decision tree, how a hydrologist might choose the most appropriate Chartered qualification and awarding body. For current information on requirements, please contact these principal organisations:

Associate Membership of ICE

This 'knowledge grade' has been introduced by the Institution of Civil Engineering to develop closer links with fellow professions. Further details on advantages, eligibility and the application process are given here.